PDA

View Full Version : car problems!

flynnske
4th November 2009, 05:28 PM
Ok ive got a ke70 and i found out a few weeks ago it had a blown head gasket so i got that replaced and it still overheated. so i got my radiator cleaned out today which was 40% blocked. ive only driven it for about 10 minutes but i still think its not fixed. the water in my radiator is still bubbling up when i turn my car on, is that normal? do u rekon it could be my water pump? last thing i can think of.

Any help would be great cos im still learning. Thanks :)

Nikkojoe
4th November 2009, 05:40 PM
You may have blown your headgasket again (between water and combustion). You usually get a little bit of turbulance in the water when you look at the filler neck on the radiator, but if you get a lot of bubbles floating up top (and never ending) its usually bhg.

Any continuous condensation out of the exhaust?

flynnske
4th November 2009, 06:49 PM
WTF! that sucks, how does the head gasket blow again after i just got it replaced? so u dont rekon it would be the waterpump? cheers for your help

blair
4th November 2009, 08:04 PM
your thermostat may not be opening far enough? pull the tacker off and rip the guts out anyway lol.

biggo
4th November 2009, 08:10 PM
cracked head

trd4ag
4th November 2009, 09:52 PM
hey mate when you check the water in the radiator you would have the cap off correct?
when the cap is removed the boiling point off the coolant returns to normal so if your car is running warm and then you release the radiator cap not trying to make you sound stupid but the radiator cap allows a certan amount of pressure to build up in your cooling system thus raising the boiling point of the coolant so when the cap is removed as i stated above the boiling point will return to standard witch will make the coolant boil when cap released if this happens this is normal there are a few things that you check your self to find out if the head gasket has blown again.

1) check your engine oil for any contamination ie coolant mixing with oil reffered to as a chocolate milkshake.

2) do the same with the radiator check that the coolant is clean and no oil is mixing.

3) if these are ok then pull your oil filler cap of and check for condensation easy to check just tap cap on hand and if dropplets are seen on hand this can mean there is water/coolant entering the combustion camber and as evapourates leves condensation.

4) if you cant see anthing wrong you can carry out wat is called a tk test witch tests if there is any exhaust gases in cooling system ie by a leaking combustion chamber (headgasket)

if these are all ok then i would probably say that your head gasket is ok

your question with the water pump is a good one if this is non operational then there is no fresh coolant flowing through the motor witch would make the motor over heat.
but it is rare to see a water pump fail not saying they dont but

1) if its still being driven by the drive belt/ acc belt then it will still be turning over and will still flow.

2) if it has failed it would have become very noisy before it had failed.

all the boys make valued points to

you can check if your water pump and thermostat are working at the same time when the car is at running temp say a guarter to half on temp gauge turn it off and pull the top radiator hose off this would be the hose coming from the head not the pump

***** note release the pressure in radiator before doing this just pull the cap off*********

1 check the temp of the hose should be pretty hot by now witch would mean the thermostat is open and then when hose is off get a bucket and place under hose then start car and if water flows into bucket the pump is okay but if thermostat is closed/seized then no flow will come out.

was the head checked for straightness and cracked tested when the head gasket was replaced? and were the jackets checked in the block for blockages?

cheers matt

flynnske
5th November 2009, 09:25 AM
thanks heaps for your help guys, ive taken it into a shop to get it checked out. ill tell yous whats wrong with it when i find out. thanks again guys

Golberg
5th November 2009, 06:02 PM
WTF! that sucks, how does the head gasket blow again after i just got it replaced? so u dont rekon it would be the waterpump? cheers for your help

Because a blown head gasket doesn't usually have anything to do with a head gasket fault at all...

A blown head gasket is usually a symptom of some other problem, usually cooling related. Take for example the AE71 I bought, had a BHG. So I swapped a fresh 4AC in, then quickly noted that the heater tap was leaking coolant very quickly. Which basically told me that the reason the old motor blew one is because all the coolant leaked out, engine overheated then the gasket blew.

So I swapped in a new tap and the car runs just fine with its new motor.

flynnske
7th November 2009, 06:38 PM
turned out to be my radiator for some reason, i had a bigger one in there and thats what must of made it fk up. but i got a standard radiator off my mate and put it in and is now going fine...

what do u rekon to go is there?

lolwat
7th November 2009, 06:45 PM
other rad is blocked
it would be cooking the coolant in the top end and the bottom would be cold (rad) as the thermostat(guessing) is near the bottom, and if the rad was blocked it wouldn't flow and the thermostat wouldn't open(which wouldn't help either)

trd4ag
10th November 2009, 07:27 PM
hey mate if any thing a bigger radiator would help cool the motor alot better than a smaller one due to more surface area hence why people put say 52mm thick radiators or twin or three core radiators in. to me that doesn't make sense. unless if it is blocked then it is useless but didnt you get it cleaned out???

(golberg) makes a good point most head gasket faults are the cause of other faults ie blocked raditors, leaks, stuffed radiator caps thermostats ect or major overheating witch could warp or crack heads these are the things that i personally would look into first witch would aid in proper diagnosis of your car

flynnske
11th November 2009, 03:00 PM
Hey guys thanks for all the help, but i put a stock radiator in nearly a week ago and it hasnt lost any water or overheated. where as my old one would lose water as soon as i started driving, the water wasnt leaking it was just boiling like crazy, now my radiator doesnt boil up at all really except a few little bubble come up (when the cars on).

Flynn 2483

Faceplant456
3rd December 2009, 09:58 PM
sounds like the larger rad had the wrong pressure cap on it. if the cap pressure is wrong then the coolant would just boil and end up out of the system completely

flynnske
7th December 2009, 08:48 AM
my engine is buggerd again, i think BHG again cos my oil is milky and stuff, my car is off the road till i can find a new engine for it. so if anyone knows or has a engine let me know, cos i really want to get my car going again as i just put 12 months rego on it and cant even drive it!

Golberg
7th December 2009, 07:21 PM
Do you have a working temperature gauge?