PDA

View Full Version : waterpump/ radiator

ozsprintz
4th January 2007, 02:17 PM
well just busted the rear part of my waterpump where the thermostat plugs in and i was wonderin what replacement can i use for a rwd one if i cant get a hold of one.
also a replacement radiator too. what ones can i bolt straight in if i cant get a sprinter one??
thanx

parrot
4th January 2007, 02:51 PM
Nothing is a straight bolt in.

SLO-030
4th January 2007, 03:00 PM
The 4AC uses the same backing and front part of the water pump. Should only be like $30 from repco or sprints or somehwere like that.

Jonny Rochester
4th January 2007, 03:15 PM
The front half of the waterpump is about $50 from Burson. The whole waterpump (front and back) is about $100 from Toyota.

Jonny Rochester
4th January 2007, 06:47 PM
The water pump (both halves) on a RWD 4A-C is the same as that on a RWD 4A-GEU. So all AE86 water pumps are the same, 4A-C and 4A-GEU.

FWD waterpumps are a bit different, and do not have a thermostate housing in them.

Jonny Rochester
5th January 2007, 09:21 AM
Repco will probably only give you the front half. You need to go to Toyota for the whole pump. (And be armed with details from a ID plate).

driftism
5th January 2007, 04:20 PM
the rwd 4ac ones will not fit on a ze... there is a supercharger in the way of where the lower hose is supposed to come out. I also believe that the rwd series 4ag's have a different offset waterpump pulley to the fwd engines, but this i am not sure about.

JDMJNKY
5th January 2007, 04:33 PM
The water pump (both halves) on a RWD 4A-C is the same as that on a RWD 4A-GEU. So all AE86 water pumps are the same, 4A-C and 4A-GEU.

FWD waterpumps are a bit different, and do not have a thermostate housing in them.[/b]

not so jdm 4age pumps have a longer shaft for the clutch fan and the pulleys wont line up!

im using 4ac housing ae82 4age pump

Jonny Rochester
6th January 2007, 10:32 AM
No Blinky you can't just do that. To make that work you have to grind the fins inside the waterpump.

Remember 4A-C came both RWD and FWD, so need to specify.

Brendo
6th January 2007, 06:26 PM
I thought that the fins differed.... nice so i just gotta get a new rwd one from repco for my ze http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif[/b]

^^ thats what i thought

THIS IS <<R2>> Blinky

Fuk im confused lol

Basically i want the neatest set up possible to convert my engine cooling to rwd

So if i use the rear half of a rwd 4ac waterpump i have to grind down the fins?
Then i can use a 4age FWD front half to get the right pulley off set?

If im wrong this time can some one direct me in the right direction for what im after lol

Monk
6th January 2007, 07:57 PM
Woah..
Ok..

The water pump come sin two parts.. the front and the rear.
if you have broken the rear housing on your 4age (16/20v) you can use a 4ac one.
You will need to bolt your 4age front to it. and it will work fine.

the only problem that appears with water pumps is when you are trying to use a FWD water bump with a 4age/4ac (16/20v) rear.
you WILL need to grive the blades just a tad as these scrub on the inside of the rear housing.

if you do not want to grind the blades. you just source a RWD 16v waterpump - these water pumps can be found on jap sprinters

next, if you dont want to find a jap water pump and you want to use your FWD pump, you will need to sauce a jap (trueno) pully. [as pictured] .. this is even harder

in short. just grind your bloody blades.

Brendo
7th January 2007, 12:03 AM
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif Righto thanks heaps dude

Jonny Rochester
7th January 2007, 09:08 AM
Yes, your Toyota dealer can get everything. But be ready with your "VIN details" or they won't even talk to you. To be sure, go to the AE86 registry page in General Discussion and copy the ID plate from a vehicle with 4A-GEU. Give those numbers to the Toyota parts man.

I did this and ordered new waterpump (both halves), waterpump pulley, thermostate housing, alternator brackets. To suit 4A-GEU in AE86 of course! And it all bolts on and fits, I am so happy. No mods! (Except I have 20 valve, so some mods.)

Radiator for 4A-C and 4A-GE is the same in AE86 I think, but nothing else from another car will fit.

ozsprintz
7th January 2007, 02:40 PM
thanx for all the replys going to hunt down apump on monday thanx

driftism
8th January 2007, 01:59 PM
another alternative to a JDM water pump pulley is one off of a 3T engine, i think that they are slightly larger as well, so it will gear the waterpump down a bit.

Jonny Rochester
8th January 2007, 02:16 PM
Um, not quite. The 4A-GE usualy uses a multi-rib belt, 5PK840 for RWD 4A-GE. The 3T uses a single V belt, so you would only think about using that pully with the 4A-C alternator and crank pulley.

driftism
8th January 2007, 02:34 PM
Seen pics of an engine that is using the 3t pulley with the multi-rib belt. weird, maybe some of the engines used a multi rib belt, as toyota tended to change belt sizing over the years of production. I've seen 4age's with single rib belts...

Leigh
9th January 2007, 12:34 PM
I've got a Camry 2.2 litre radiator (not sure what year model etc) in my 86 it's basically the same hight but a little wider so some of it doesn't get much airflow but I got it fo a case of beer and it had thermo fans etc on it. needed to get some aluminium piping made up as the top hoses didn't meet up I'll get some pics up.
Don't have any cooling probs any more, the old radiator was stuffed fins bent up everywhere.
Leigh