PDA

View Full Version : changing clutch

lachy2k3
9th June 2007, 09:55 PM
currently taking out bolts to the gearbox
after that do i need to d/c the clutchline and starter motor?

edit:
i just finish my clutch today.. but the problem is the clutch wont engage.. i cant get it into gear.. does this hafto do with bleeding it.. coz i done it already.. maybe i didnt do it properly..
also the fork moves in and out..
what could be the problem?

meadan
9th June 2007, 09:58 PM
lol i did the same thing today, my first time too.
yep disconnect/drain the clutch. and yep take off the starter motor.
ive heard people have problems taking the top 2 gearbox bolts off, but i just used a ratchet and breaker bar with ease.
if its a 4ac you might wanna disconnect ur exhaust aswell to take the gearbox down...

lachy2k3
9th June 2007, 10:01 PM
lol i did the same thing today, my first time too.
yep disconnect/drain the clutch. and yep take off the starter motor.
ive heard people have problems taking the top 2 gearbox bolts off, but i just used a ratchet and breaker bar with ease.
if its a 4ac you might wanna disconnect ur exhaust aswell to take the gearbox down...[/b]

how long did u take buddy? i started at 6 ttill now..lol

meadan
9th June 2007, 10:10 PM
lol
i started at like 12:30, and i stopped at 4
i only got like halfway through, but it was getting too cold and people came over
i just need to put the new clutch on and put everything back together. taking apart always takes like 3 times as long if ive never done it before.
did you leave the tailshaft in so oil doesnt go everywhere if you tilt the gearbox?

mc68
9th June 2007, 11:32 PM
errrrrr why didnt u just unbolt the slave cylinder instead of draining the clutch, making need to bleed it again....

best thing to do is disconnect the battery if you are pulling the feed off the starter...you never know when it might earth out and cook everything...

meadan
9th June 2007, 11:34 PM
i was gonna bleed it anyways when the new one was in, so i decided its easier.
im glad i did, the fluid that came out was pretty black, and had little black dots in it.

Driftspec
10th June 2007, 12:38 AM
Couldnt be easier:

Pull the starter motor out (disconnecting both terminals from the battery, as well as any other wires that run from the starter motor/gearbox that will fall when the gearbox drops out http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/wink.gif ), and the slave from the gearbox out as well. You won't need to pull any hydraulic lines out.

There are two bolts that are behind the block that are a pain in the arse to get off, but once located its all good. An there probably won't be a need to drop the exhaust pipe, as long as the drive shaft has been pulled out of the back of the gearbox, it will make dropping the box a piece of cake.

We did 2 cars in about 6 hours or so, but we were at a shed with all the right tools and some previous mechanical knowledge, which helps too http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/wink.gif

Hope this helps!

blue86
10th June 2007, 01:18 AM
dont forget to take the gear shift section out dude its easy, took me awhile the first time just keep an eye on what yr doing good luck .ive never had to bleed the clutch an ive done it 3 times before isnt it hydrolic it does it its self is this right

RobertoX
10th June 2007, 01:38 AM
and remove the reverse light wires and spedo cable

dirty_86
10th June 2007, 02:31 AM
-D/C neg of bat terminal
-remove starter motor ( leave all connections attached and jam it in sumwhere so its out of the way
-remove gearshifter inside
-remove tailshaft
-Drain gearbox oil (take out filler plug (top bolt) first then drain plug
-remove clutch slave clyinder
-remove speedo cable and reversing wiring
-remove all accesable bellhousing bolts ( leave 1 prefably on the side in just crack it and leave it there)
-remove gearbox crossmember bolts box will drop down at the rear making the 2 top bolts accessable from underneath the car get to them by using long 1/2 extenstion/s and crack with a breaker bar.. remove the 2 bolts have a jack and jack up gearbox till its as level as how u had it when crossmember was bolted in remove the bolt that you have left cracked
-now have a mate assist u when u pull the gearbox back that it doesn't fall

Jonny Rochester
10th June 2007, 02:44 AM
Also, plan it out so when the gearbox dribbles gear oil it goes on your mate and not on you.

But after doing a 'Cruiser gearbox you will laugh at the T50 and pull it out with one hand.

meadan
10th June 2007, 10:17 AM
lol, well apparently i did it the hard way then, but neither me or my step dad had done it before...
but i dropped the exhaust, and left the wires connected, i also left the tailshaft in the rear of the box.
that way i just put the jack under it and dropped it down so i have enough room to change the clutch, and i had no spills of oil, plus i figure itll be easy to lift again.
the top 2 bolts were easy to remove once i took the dizzy out, ratchet and breaker bar does the trick.

mc68
10th June 2007, 02:55 PM
dont forget to take the gear shift section out dude its easy, took me awhile the first time just keep an eye on what yr doing good luck .ive never had to bleed the clutch an ive done it 3 times before isnt it hydrolic it does it its self is this right[/b]

no, its the same as a hydraulic brake system...they dont bleed themselves!

meadan
10th June 2007, 03:19 PM
ive just finished mine.
its seems easy to push the clutch in at first, and then the last half the clutch pedal gets harder.
could this have to do with not bleeding it correctly?
or am i just used to driving with a worn out clutch...

ke70dave
10th June 2007, 06:34 PM
yeah bleed it again man just to be on the safe side, sounds like you got some air in there, you can also get a mate to look at the clutch fork to see if its goin in the same amount with respect to how much your pushing the pedal down...if that makes sense.

meadan
11th June 2007, 08:21 AM
yeah i had to bleed it again.
the liquid was all frothy, i guess thats from pumping the pedal while there is air in the lines.
all good now, the new clutch feels heaps better...

lachy2k3
18th June 2007, 05:51 PM
i just finish my clutch today.. but the problem is the clutch wont engage.. i cant get it into gear.. does this hafto do with bleeding it.. coz i done it already.. maybe i didnt do it properly..
also the fork moves in and out..
what could be the problem?

slide86
18th June 2007, 08:29 PM
try re-bleeding it, but does the clutch pedal have an adjustment on it.

my bet is that it needs adjusting to get it to the correct postition for the pushrod. when your pushing the clutch, its moving the slave, buit not far enough. the adjustment *should* fix this problem

lachy2k3
19th June 2007, 12:46 AM
ill give it a try.. hopefully it works..