PDA

View Full Version : Front brake lines?

kiwi
17th June 2007, 06:06 PM
Are the front brake lines on a KE70 able to go straight into the calipers off a sprinter when changing struts over,
or do i need to get the ae86 brake lines as well?

Many thanks

Gilly
17th June 2007, 06:16 PM
need AE86 brake lines

the fitting will thread in but they have a different mounting face

they do work with each other but its nor reccomended

Course_Out
17th June 2007, 09:42 PM
Good time to upgrade to braided lines, that's what i did when I swapped to ae86 front end in mine

slidn70
17th June 2007, 10:19 PM
my lines fitted in easily. they were tight, but its been fine for months.

(My ke70 has ae86 struts and ae86 calipers)

ke70dave
18th June 2007, 10:07 AM
yeah i cant see why they wouldnt fit

what do you mean by

"the fitting will thread in but they have a different mounting face" gilly?

Gilly
18th June 2007, 10:19 AM
the AE86 caliper has a convex (domed) female port on the caliper therefore the AE86 hose has a concave (dished) male fitting

the Ke has the opposite so by using KE hoses in AE86 calipers you have 2 convex fittings meeting each other. it works they still seal but not as desirable as the correct concave meeting convex method.

in saying that i didn't use AE86 hoses http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif i'll do stuff like that in my car but will rarely reccomend to the public if it is not the correct way of doing it

kiwi
18th June 2007, 08:32 PM
Nice question ke70dave, was wondering what that meant myself thanks for asking before i did.
Also good answer Gilly am glad there are people with your knowledge.

So does anyone know where and how much i can get a set of braided lines for?

Also as a temp measure some thread tape that plumbers use would be an effective measure to seal the thread would it not?

ke70dave
19th June 2007, 09:40 AM
umm you may find that that plumbers tape will be eaten away by the brake fluid. you should have no trouble in doin the threads up tight enough so that they seal properly. im not exactly sure what gilly is talking about, but everytime ive done up a brake hose it has become "tight" well before the face of the whatever gets close to the caliper. like there has been heaps of thread showing outside the caliper. also as gilly stated (Daym gilly you get alot of mention:P) he has used ke70 lines with ae86 calipers with no trouble http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif

if you have both parts, try screwing them together, and see if its a firm fit.

just a tip, try and get yourself a pipe spanner as i HATE undoing/doing up brake lines with just ordinary spanner...ive stripped so many....

Gilly
19th June 2007, 10:53 AM
word up to the pipe spanner!!!

i'll get pics showing what i mean

RobertoX
19th June 2007, 02:00 PM
super wrench FTW