PDA

View Full Version : rear springs keep popping out of spring seat

snake
13th August 2007, 02:21 PM
hey ppl...

i chopped my rear ajps (5kg/mm) springs yesterday, by one coil, running sierra shoxs.( only temporary ) i like the hieght and stiffness, feels good, but after pulling sum sik skidz the last coil keep leaving the spring seat....any ideas on how to keep it in?? maybe a bit of rubber other than the standard ones? on maybe nothing at all?

cheers in advance for any sugestion...

Gilly
13th August 2007, 02:32 PM
i always had this as well

using falcon springs though, i was able to flip them upside down and it stopped

you might be able to do it with your 86 specific items

deleta
13th August 2007, 02:41 PM
Or Gilly could say it 1st lol

"try flipping them so the flat part of the spring is on the diff, this is what i do with my "lowered" falcon springs. it works very very well " :2thumbs:

snake
13th August 2007, 02:45 PM
hmm i dunno if it will work... but ill giv it a go...

any idea on the spring rate of the falcon springs??

slidn70
13th August 2007, 02:49 PM
I'm running falcon's too. just flip them upside down so the cut side is pointing up into the car. they wont fall out then.

I think falcon's are 6.5kg/mm.. ?? but i'm not sure, i'd like to know the answer too.

seek
13th August 2007, 05:00 PM
im also keen to know their stiffness.. my car is like a rock. very unforgiving on bumps.

Brenton 86
13th August 2007, 05:29 PM
Used to happen to me when i was running choppers, i drilled holes in the spring seat and zip tied the bases in. It worked, just be carefull where you thread through the zip tie.. too low and the coil above will flatten and break the tie.

Redwarf
13th August 2007, 05:33 PM
i cut some lovells in my rear, same problem...

goto anyone with an oxy, heat up half a coil on the cut end, bend it in to make a flat base, cost me $10 to use the oxy (as i dont have my own oxy....) mind you no one will agree to do it for you as its mega dodge, so just get someone you already know to let u use their oxy...

so far so good, havent poped out since

Konakid
13th August 2007, 05:53 PM
I'm running falcon's too. just flip them upside down so the cut side is pointing up into the car. they wont fall out then.

I think falcon's are 6.5kg/mm.. ?? but i'm not sure, i'd like to know the answer too.[/b]

Definately not anywhere near that stiff, id say falcons in the rear are about 4kg depending on how chopped they are. Then it depends if they are the stiffer falcons from a bigger model, e.g LTD version.

Cut bit pointing up, always, they'll be fine especially with sierras.

snake
13th August 2007, 06:28 PM
ok thanks peeps ill giv it a go and let you all know :2thumbs:

parrot
13th August 2007, 10:37 PM
On a rally car you would limit the axle movement to keep the spring captive. Not good if you go over a yump and the spring dislodges.

Dave
13th August 2007, 10:41 PM
drill a holl in the platform and run a cable tie thru to hold it in place on the strut FTW :D

beerhead
14th August 2007, 12:21 AM
There's a good reason they'll all tell you not to do it! It'll make the spring prone to stress fatigue and failure!

There are some things that are worth doing DIY, some some that aren't. You can have the ride height of springs reset at good suspension shops. Don't mess with safety, if your springs are falling out, get some that are a decent fit, custom made if you have to. Zip ties are just a band aid solution to the problem.

i cut some lovells in my rear, same problem...

goto anyone with an oxy, heat up half a coil on the cut end, bend it in to make a flat base, cost me $10 to use the oxy (as i dont have my own oxy....) mind you no one will agree to do it for you as its mega dodge, so just get someone you already know to let u use their oxy...

so far so good, havent poped out since[/b]

ke70dave
14th August 2007, 08:59 AM
yer i think ill pass on the heating up of the spring.

as has been said, make sure the end of the spring that is on the diff, is the uncut end, ive got "lowered" falcon springs in my car with commondore shocks (not as short as seirra but pretty short) and they've never fallen out. but i did do the ziptie trick as well, there is already a hole in the middle of the bottom spring seat, just run some ties around that.

as for spring rate, the ones i got SUCK!!! soo bouncy, prolly no better than cut standards (so what 2.5kg?).......i gota get some from a new/bigger model or something

BJT27
14th August 2007, 09:29 PM
I bent and welded a small cut of mildflat steel 3mm x 40mm about 60mm long on the seat where resess is.

Have not had any problems since and i have king SL au springs with koni adj short stroke shocks :2thumbs: