View Full Version : Repainting RS-YASU(ISM) cam covers

Golberg
8th May 2009, 12:15 AM
I have myself a 4AGE with RS-YASU cam covers. Now the paint on them is fairly screwed as you can see in this photo:
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/8/0/13555.jpg

It would appear that oil attacks the paint they used, that coupled with the previous owner not being too careful where they poured the oil has resulted in a dirty motor and stuffed paint on the covers.

My first question for those in know about paint. They originally used a textured paint and it looks pretty good, any idea where I might find such a paint, preferably in an oil resistant form?

Second question for all those out there who are gurus in rare Japanese sprinter bits. Do you think it would be too heinous a crime to repaint them red? Just my car is red and I really don't like the combination of green and red. As far as I know they only ever came in green.

Oh and before I get any PM's asking if I'll sell them, no I wont, not even considering it.

Dylan
8th May 2009, 09:12 AM
this stuff is wrinkle finish, available in red and black, and grease resistant etc.

http://www.speco.com.au/images/VHTwrinkle.jpg

dustyae86
8th May 2009, 09:15 AM
powder coat them :)

xero
8th May 2009, 09:34 AM
im with dylan. go the VHT wrinkle coat, used the black one on my cam covers. and is definately grease/oil resistant.

blair
8th May 2009, 11:09 AM
NO YOU CANT PAINT THEM RED. THAT IS A CRIME.

lol, go for it man who cares!

oh, and for the paint, ive found that the heat resistant stuff at supercheap gives a bit of a course finish, i like it.

LittleRedSpirit
8th May 2009, 12:02 PM
VHT is crap compared to powdercoating. Id suggest powdercoating. They can do mettalics, wrinkle finish, hammer tone, whatever you want these days. Just make sure they dont get it on the mating surface.

redsprinter
8th May 2009, 12:06 PM
not that it matter or anything but imo i would restore them back to green because it is a rare item .

sun_moon
8th May 2009, 12:25 PM
paint them any color you like, fuck the jap-worshipers !

Jase86
8th May 2009, 01:41 PM
I've heard the trick to getting a good finish with the spray pack wrinkle paint is to warm the cam cover up in the oven before you spray them - not too hot though!

redsprinter
8th May 2009, 01:58 PM
paint them any color you like, fuck the jap-worshipers !

wtf!? thats funny as . good on yah dude. im no expert on rare japanese items but if the RS-YASU cam cover came only in green ... they why re-paint them in red? i understand it will fit your colour scheme but you might as well sell them and buy your self some standard cam covers.

eg. like buying a genuine mine's built r34 gtr and saying im gonna make it my own car by painting it candy apple . whats the point . when you could of just bought r34 gtr make it quick and given it a paint job .. same effect.

to the original thread poster.best way is powder coat it . cost a bit more but the finish will be better and tougher. petrol,grease, and heat wont do shit to it .

sun_moon
8th May 2009, 02:17 PM
i would paint them champaigne gold (as used on lexus cars) and leave the top silver if it was in my car.

i just think who cares what the japs do etc. its your own car, paint it how u like. and all the jap worshippers who tell you off for "destroying" the cam covers, they can go hit the aeroplane to how good the japanese are for all i care.

Dish
9th May 2009, 09:36 PM
You should buy a black limited trueno and paint it pink..

Haha. I agree with some saying that you should keep them green, if they were mine I'd leave them in a safe spot in the garage and have some painted standard ones.

All up to you though. And to people saying fuck fanboys. What's the point in having an 80's car if you don't like the cult aspect as well as everything that goes with them?

sun_moon
9th May 2009, 09:39 PM
And to people saying fuck fanboys. What's the point in having an 80's car if you don't like the cult aspect as well as everything that goes with them?
well be original, so paint it how YOU want, and fuck the japan worshippers imho....

painting a black limted is your choice but its different to painting some cam covers... those cam covers are from a japanese workshop as aftermarket items, nothing special at all, you could proberly still get them even now if you had some work done at rs yasu/. where as the black limted is a factory rare car. although paint one pink if its what floats your boat tho

Dish
9th May 2009, 09:44 PM
Again, why don't you buy an N2 spec car and strip the kit, motor and wheels off.

We're not all Japan worshippers here, but I appreciate things that actually have a bit of history/meaning. Lets not forget originality can't be reproduced in mass numbers by Korea/China.

Appologies: Should keep my shit out of your thread. Do what you like, they are yours after-all.

orido
10th May 2009, 12:00 AM
i reckon paint stock covers keep the original in original condition.

4ageke70
10th May 2009, 01:30 AM
hey mate mine r paint in the vht wrinkle black look sweet as :DD

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/2/4/0/5/13667.jpg

Golberg
10th May 2009, 01:42 AM
Interesting.

Well, I've taken into account what everybody has has said. I might have considered powder coating, but its out of my expense range.

Now, I'm not interested in selling them and putting standard ones on because they have actual significance with the motor. It was actually built by RS-YASU as far as I am aware, as such I'd like to keep its cam covers on the motor.

Keeping them as is isn't really an option, because quite literally I wiped some of the oil off and the paint came with it. So ultimately they need to be repainted. I guess basically the way I see it now, as floody said, its only paint. It can be stripped at any point and repainted again.

So the plan is to use the VHT wrinkle plus in red then sand back the ridges again.

In terms of the history of these. They are basically standard covers modified by RS-YASU. Basically all they have done is weld on the top section on each. So they aren't THAT special, but however they do not make them any more and there weren't all that many made to begin with so hence they have a bit of rarity value.

What are really rare are the HKS 5AGE cam covers, I believe they were a complete custom cast unit from HKS. Much harder to find than RS-YASU covers.

dave2221
10th May 2009, 03:16 PM
they would prob media blast....

sand blasting is too course.

my 2c

red cam covers would be pimp.... you have a rare item, made even rarer by the fact you would have prob only red ones in existence.

red paint, and then sand it back as discussed.

af300e
10th May 2009, 07:19 PM
and in my experience powdercoat isn't fantastic on things bolted to engines either....

You need a better powder coater then.

It shits on paint in every respect. Tougher against scratching and hits, holds up to chemicals better and is very temp resistant. It's usually baked at 200 deg centigrade or higher

Most oem engine cover finishes are powder coat.

If you are worried about blasting damage to the parts, strip them with paint stripper and prep them by hand with sand paper. Or try soda or garnet blasting instead. They should probably be chromated too before powder coating as they are aluminium.

If you really want to paint, use por-15. Doesn't come in wrinkle but when sprayed the finish is fantastic and super tough.

Nic19
10th May 2009, 07:26 PM
im in the process of cleaning my covers up before i paint them with wrinkle paint. just wondering do i have to get every bit of paint off? i was going to just scrub with scotch brite. might have to heat up the covers before i spray em