PDA

View Full Version : Zenki Axles

cando1
23rd May 2008, 05:07 PM
Question:

Zenki Drum brake axles and Zenki Disc brake axles the same?

Reason:

Will the Rotar disc fit over the end where the drum is ?

cheers,

cando1

federal
23rd May 2008, 05:23 PM
the axles are the same...the bearing retainer plates are not...

Jonny Rochester
24th May 2008, 01:44 AM
The axles are different, but the disk should fit on either.

federal
24th May 2008, 02:35 PM
^explain...

to my knowledge the axles are the same lengths, same od's, same splines etc etc...however using different bearing retainer plates....

would be interested to know the difference....

Anthony
24th May 2008, 02:50 PM
well one runs a totally different wheel bearing to the other for a start.

federal
24th May 2008, 05:28 PM
i was under the impression that the larger type wheel bearing was reserved for the Kouki type axle....as you can use the Aus T-series axles with the Zenki disc setup...

Anthony
24th May 2008, 06:17 PM
Not the ones Ive pulled apart. disc brake = double bearing. drum brake = single.

federal
24th May 2008, 09:14 PM
thanks for clearing that up...

just to clarify though, you can also run ADM t-series axles with zenki disc setup ;)

Jonny Rochester
25th May 2008, 12:45 AM
You would need a custom bracket or something to make that work.

federal
25th May 2008, 01:33 AM
no you don't...i have had this all bolted up, change the bearing retainer plate to maintain the correct bolt pattern and done...

Big T
25th May 2008, 06:57 PM
Jonny is correct. The end flange has a different bolt pattern as shown here:

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/170545.jpg (http://img151.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rearsuspension26ws.jpg)

Toyota seem to make the offset hole pattern for brake disk setups. The massively wide bearings are also on most disk brake live axle rear ends, eg an MS112 crown.
So whatever brake setup you have on your Aussie T-series is not a JDM brake setup. You could possibly have an RT-142 setup on there? They basically bolt on to an aus T-series. Either that or the backing plate has been re-drilled to take the rectangular bolt pattern.

Eddie.

EDIT: have just realised you mean just using an aus T-series axle only in a JDM diff. Out of curiosity, are you running the wide double bearings on the axle as well? Cheers.

federal
25th May 2008, 07:34 PM
^^that was just using the std width T18 bearing...

it was merely bolted together...i never ran it in car..but when bolted together there was no slack in anything....

and the "end flange" as you call it is what i refer to as the "bearing retainer plate"

Big T
25th May 2008, 09:48 PM
Yeah dude, there is the bearing retainer plate as well as the end flange which is on the end bit of the diff housing itself. You'll want to change that bearing over for a double width one though. A JDM housing has a far bigger bearing area in the flange section so the entire axle will have the ability to move back and forth through that section.

If you have a read on RT142 brake disk conversions you'll see them talking about the spacer on the bearing retainer plate... same concept except now there is an entire bearing width to move in and out of.

Eddie.

federal
25th May 2008, 10:53 PM
yeh i wrote the RT142 upgrade on the faq...

i know exactly what your saying, and by my calculations the double width bearing will fit the t18 axles...

cando1
26th May 2008, 11:23 AM
cheers guys,
that helps heaps.