PDA

View Full Version : Rather Strange problem. 4AGE + idle + tacho

Deeken
14th November 2011, 05:24 PM
Hey guys, have sorted out the shit running/ignition problems I've had, but now realised my starter motor can't crank my engine strong enough to start.. Does anyone know of where I could get a high torque (1kW +) 4age starter motor, or any starter motors that are compatible/modifiable to run on the 4age/t50 set up I have..

Cheers.

Hey guys, finally pulled my finger out while waiting for wayne gum to service/replace my hyperpak i sent to him.. been 3 weeks and no contact.

I bought a BIM 024 module to run static timing on my car til i get the hyperpak back.. Got it wired, pin 15 to 12v+ ignition and pin 16 to coil -, and been switching the wires on the distributor but still not running too good, my dad come home and we started playing with timing.. got it at like 40~ deg or something advanced and it seems to run better than if we retard it any.. what the hell?

Also, I noticed when the car gets running, the tacho nearly sits on 8,000rpm but when it idles down and idles really low it sits around 6,500? if I rev it tops out again...

Any problems highlighted by these symptoms?? Really confused.

Thanks.

bennyq
15th November 2011, 10:10 AM
hey man, ive got the same problem atm aswell hey. it seems to run ok when its like 30 degrees or so out, but any less than that and its shit.
ive been advised to check the TPS and yeah also cam timing aswell.
if its not your cam timing it could be the throttle position sensor, i havent had time to check my own out yet.
i just put my bigport into my 86, and all i did was use the old tachometer wire (i think its like black and brown or something) and put it on the negative of the coil. it seems to work ok for me. maybe make sure yours is connected properly?
let me know if you sort out why your car is running shit, i'll do the same haha.

Deeken
16th November 2011, 06:31 PM
Okay, dad figured out a huge but simple part we over looked. When we were setting our cam timing, we turned it over to TDC, but the thing is we were setting the opening of the intake cam properly etc etc, but then also setting the closing of the exhaust not even thinking that this was wrong hahaha. This was putting the opening of the exhaust way retarded in relation to the intake and probably why we were getting the ignition timing out so far.

But now, we have a new problem, after pulling the cam covers off today and resetting the intake opening to make sure, I then turned the engine over a full revolution to get the opening on the exhaust and set it up properly lol. Holy shit it made a bit of a difference to the compression whilst turning the engine over.

Has anyone used a standard 4ac starter motor to run a 4age? The starter can barely crank my engine.. (maybe 50rpm) but barely loses voltage... Could it be my starter motor being too worn out/pulling to much current, or the compression in a highcomp 4age be too much for a standard 4ac starter?

Looking into buying a new starter either way, as the old one sticks after the engine fires, would anyone have a high torque starter part number or know people selling high torque starters for 4ages??