PDA

View Full Version : Blacktop 20v excessive fueling - Video Attached

Matt
27th November 2011, 02:27 PM
Car

Ae82 sedan with blacktop 20v (yep the motor faces the wrong way)

Problem

The car is running on 3 cyclinders, appears to be cyclinder 1 that has a problem with being over fueled.

The video attached is after being switched off for around 30 seconds, it just bubbles up and over flows out the top of the spark plug. Cyclinders 2-4 you can clearly see the top of the pistons and they are dry.

I've tried swapping the fuel pressure reg and cranking for about a minute to remove excess fuel from the cyclinders after swapping the pressure reg.

Compression is between 210 and 215 across all cyclinders. And no signs of oil in the water or water in the oil (is a bit of extra fuel though)

After starting to write this, thinking i might try swapping injectors 1 and 3 to see if the problem remains with cyclinder 1. Will get back to you on this, but if anyone else has had this problem or knows where to start that would be great.

Happening since

I've had this car for about 6 months and haven't done anything with it, other than start it up from time to time and let run for a couple of minutes and shut it down. Its always ran a bit shit, but i put in new plugs a while back and it seamed to be better.

I rewired it about a two months ago as the original guy who wired it believed twisting wires and taping it up was good enough.. I doubt it is the wiring as i've wired up around 20 of these in FWD format now...

http://youtu.be/8GVlTcYlePg

Thanks for your help guys.

KE70Man
27th November 2011, 07:50 PM
that's an alot of fuel, hope you haven't hydraulic locked it. let us know how swapping the injector goes.

Matt
27th November 2011, 08:48 PM
When removing the injector the rubber seal at the bottom was snapped in half, so i replaced the injector with one from another engine.

After starting it up again , the first minute or so it was still smoking outta the exhaust, but as it was holding idle and running ok i ran it up to temp.

Pretty sure the engine is fine, just had a little bath in fuel.

Sam-Q
28th November 2011, 12:10 AM
so a stuck open injector then?

Matt
28th November 2011, 06:10 AM
yeah pretty much... Dunno if it was the seal or stuck open

TODA AU
28th November 2011, 01:18 PM
When removing the injector the rubber seal at the bottom was snapped in half, so i replaced the injector with one from another engine.

After starting it up again , the first minute or so it was still smoking outta the exhaust, but as it was holding idle and running ok i ran it up to temp.

Pretty sure the engine is fine, just had a little bath in fuel.

If the lower seal on a side feed injector fail, it'll fill the cylinder.

Matt
28th November 2011, 09:17 PM
Going to swap them on all my engines, may assist a little with running rich...

Anyone know where i can get say 30 of them cheap?

Sam-Q
28th November 2011, 09:24 PM
If the lower seal on a side feed injector fail, it'll fill the cylinder.

ah yes of course, I got mixed up with top feed which wouldn't make that much of a difference.

Matt: 30 of what? injectors??? or seals?

Matt
28th November 2011, 10:35 PM
Seals gotta do friends cars I've built too

Sam-Q
28th November 2011, 10:38 PM
I can get them, I will find out what their worth as I might as well offer them on my site

LittleRedSpirit
28th November 2011, 11:17 PM
Going to swap them on all my engines, may assist a little with running rich...

Anyone know where i can get say 30 of them cheap?

I bought enough to do 2 motors for under $2 from the local bearing shop.

Take an injector in there for them to size up the new ones with, as sometimes the old ones are deformed too much to gauge the size off of.

Matt
29th November 2011, 10:47 AM
I bought enough to do 2 motors for under $2 from the local bearing shop.

Take an injector in there for them to size up the new ones with, as sometimes the old ones are deformed too much to gauge the size off of.

Much much cheaper than the $1.80ea toyota wanted

timbo
29th November 2011, 05:12 PM
Much much cheaper than the $1.80ea toyota wanted

Haha shit! I got some from CBC for a $1 I think.