View Full Version : hydrolic handbrakes whats best?

pen15
7th June 2009, 09:05 PM
as topic states im sick of my cable setup and am looking for a hydrolic setup and i wanna know whats the best and i know its not g4 or d2 cause they are shithouse as im sure beau knows i want to know

1. where to but
2. rough cost
3. brand
4. and your rating on the particular model

also how are they hooked up as im running a drum rear end do i have to run a bias control or 1 way valves?

cheers
mat

OMG866
8th June 2009, 03:51 PM
so nobody is using hudrolic hand brake setups?

n00bvak
8th June 2009, 06:02 PM
using d2 from just jap with willwood proportioning valve.

Works fine and can either be normal position or high position its also very sturdily constructed . Remember, its just a master cylinder mounted with a handle, you could spend more and get the same thing really.

Or if you want to do it cheaper / "better quality" make it yourself. I cant weld so I bought this.

This is how I have mine setup,

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/2/9/6959.jpg
to see the rest, check out my build thread on my sig.

I kept my original handbrake there as well just incase I need to park outside my house, which is on a big hill :P

Beau
8th June 2009, 06:22 PM
drums? hyrdo?

marvis
8th June 2009, 06:42 PM
I'd assume this is for a disk setup..

Javal
8th June 2009, 06:58 PM
Not one of you has spelt 'Hydraulic' correctly yet.

But noobvak has the right idea.

bigm
8th June 2009, 07:02 PM
i have a racing logic one,
will let you know how it goes on friday

n00bvak
8th June 2009, 07:12 PM
drums rear. The brake place (perth brake parts) said this is how they setup line lockers for the drag guys with live diffs, and it should be sweet. I also thought this is how they setup dirty ibis in drift battle, cant be sure though, beau should know.

Basically from the proportioning valve on it goes :

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/2/9/15827.jpg

FAST EDDIE
8th June 2009, 07:19 PM
best is to make your own,go buy a mc from brake place make it exactly how u want and make it work exactly how u want!!!

I make mine in my green 86 and will be making one for my ke70!

sundee
9th June 2009, 11:13 AM
Absolute best ones ive seen, but u pay for them .. are from Stewart Wilkins motorsport, they come in 3 differnt styles, normal pull up... vertical pull and vertical push ( rally style)

http://www.swmotorsport.com.au/index.html?lang=en-us&target=d97.html

he doesnt have pics.. and the pic of the one isnt the ones he makes.. they are way better..

i cant find a pic anywhere... grr

Delazy
9th June 2009, 12:24 PM
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/2/8/15900.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/9/3/15898.jpg

Robo86
9th June 2009, 12:40 PM
do-want. but my drum hb works fine

JUG-HEAD
9th June 2009, 12:56 PM
whats so wrong with the G4 stuff??

Delazy
9th June 2009, 01:00 PM
whats so wrong with the G4 stuff??

all reports of the ISC,D2,G4 is that they flex and eventually crack...but who knows...havent personally seen it...just feedback from a few ppl using them...

pen15
9th June 2009, 02:19 PM
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/2/8/15900.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/9/3/15898.jpg

me like where to buy? also do they have the latch feature so i wont roll down hills? i think i see it theree on the side and also how much?

Beau
10th June 2009, 01:45 PM
To be honest with you if you have a drum rear end i would just buy new cables and re build the drums.. It will work fantastic and alot cheaper and less of a fuck around then trying to do a line locker set up (i know it can be done, but doing the above is easy and gives the same) and if you are only after a hydro cause of the handle id just modify your standard handbrake handle. TO SUIT YOU.

BUT this is how mine is set up in my car.

Foot brakes work like a normal car and do not even have a handbrake of any sort T'd into them only thing T'd in is the Willwood Bias. Fantastic thing to adjust for drifting heavy on the fronts can make some great things.. trust me..

My hydro is a completely independant system much like Steriodchickens old car. Im running VS commo cailpers which actually came from his set up. a custom made bracket made from alloy that holds both cailpers on (foot brake and hydro brake) Im running a AE86 clutch master resvior on the back of the handbrake with it running to the handle i made. it really is quite simple. Line out of the resvior goes straight to a T-piece which of course 2 lines then go to the calipers.

BIG NOTE HERE: and im sure Fast Eddie will know and agree with this. Try and get a pad that is rated over 550 degrees anything less with fail and burst into flames.. no really ask ae71neo of our Marulan adventure. Also try and use high temp fluid. Nothing worst then having it failing.

I hope that explained it.. check my members ride i guess for pictures etc.

D2 and G4 are shit because of their master cylinder on the rear. It really isnt rated right for the application. and will normally fail after a while. but thats my expereince.

pen15
10th June 2009, 05:32 PM
To be honest with you if you have a drum rear end i would just buy new cables and re build the drums.. It will work fantastic and alot cheaper and less of a fuck around then trying to do a line locker set up (i know it can be done, but doing the above is easy and gives the same) and if you are only after a hydro cause of the handle id just modify your standard handbrake handle. TO SUIT YOU.

BUT this is how mine is set up in my car.

Foot brakes work like a normal car and do not even have a handbrake of any sort T'd into them only thing T'd in is the Willwood Bias. Fantastic thing to adjust for drifting heavy on the fronts can make some great things.. trust me..

My hydro is a completely independant system much like Steriodchickens old car. Im running VS commo cailpers which actually came from his set up. a custom made bracket made from alloy that holds both cailpers on (foot brake and hydro brake) Im running a AE86 clutch master resvior on the back of the handbrake with it running to the handle i made. it really is quite simple. Line out of the resvior goes straight to a T-piece which of course 2 lines then go to the calipers.

BIG NOTE HERE: and im sure Fast Eddie will know and agree with this. Try and get a pad that is rated over 550 degrees anything less with fail and burst into flames.. no really ask ae71neo of our Marulan adventure. Also try and use high temp fluid. Nothing worst then having it failing.

I hope that explained it.. check my members ride i guess for pictures etc.

D2 and G4 are shit because of their master cylinder on the rear. It really isnt rated right for the application. and will normally fail after a while. but thats my expereince.

thanks beau i have read you build many times to make sure i had a full understanding of everything i could about your setup and i do recognize the twin caliper setup on the rear i was just not really liking all the effort it takes to lock the rear on my drum setup with cable and yes it has been all rebuilt by diff ethnics with good linings

as i know g4/d2 is crap as i have seen what happens with their shit and the reason i don't want the their handbrake setup
i don't mind messing around with the Hydraulic setup as i have used it before and i really like the ease it takes to lock it up and i also enjoy the vertical pull on them for quick lockups

as for the bias i wouldn't mind 1 in my ride but for now ill just stick with the Hydraulic hand brake (btw WTF is with your car and that how do you not get done with an adjustable bias control in you car as they are that illegal who engineered your car?)

sundee
10th June 2009, 05:58 PM
Agree with Beau... T'ing into the main brake line.. while would work i dont think its the most efficient way to run it.. having the hydraulic handbrake as an independant system is the go.. it has its own reseviour (excuse spelling Javel u can step in here)

getting a car engineered "with" the brake bias valve is prolly not legal.. but that doesnt mean u cant get your car engineered with the valve installed ;)

pen15
14th June 2009, 12:54 PM
well i have emailed swmotorsport asking for pics so i can see weather it will suit my application hopefully i will get some detailed pics back otherwise im still looking for the moment

--Redwork--
14th June 2009, 02:23 PM
As far as I'm aware... Its is legal to have a brake bias adjuster fitted to your car.. It just has to be placed in a safe position and not be adjustable while driving.. Meaning.. It must be in the engine bay..

FAST EDDIE
14th June 2009, 07:49 PM
most t series hb setups work quite well, i always used budget shoes and seem to work ohk, i drove a sprinner with decent shoes and it was awesome, better than my hydraulic disc setup on my car now but with crazy grippy tires i dunno!!!!

i wouldnt believe all the stories about the g4 items ans chinese stuff like that i use alot of cheap parts and because we drive small light cars everything seems to fare quite well!!!

pen15
14th June 2009, 09:55 PM
well imagine how well it will lock up with an alright set of shoes and a hydraulic handbrake setup that's what i want

not to be rude or anything but i was looking for the best quality and where to buy a good hydraulic handbrake setup

Simon-KE70
15th June 2009, 03:28 PM
make your own?

one of the biggest probs you will have is the all the off the shelf items will either not fit an 86/ke or their MC bore will not suit drum brakes.

i made my own using a nissan s13 clutch master cyln, some steel and a welder....

FAST EDDIE
15th June 2009, 09:44 PM
and also as simon and i both have realised when u cage a ke or ae and dump the seat on the floor the hb lever has to be down scraping the tunnel or use a push or pull handle!!

kaibeecee
15th June 2009, 10:15 PM
yeah, making it works out to be about the same amount of work once you fuck around with positioning and lines and the like. and its way more custom. you can position it perfectly.

and theres nothing wrong with placing it inline with the rear brakes.
seen it done multiple times and its perfect. doesn't mess up the proportioning or the brake feel or anything. you just need the HB-MC to have an in-line from the main master, and the out line to the rear brakes. it just sections off the flow to the rear when pulled and the front brakes still work as they should. its not as complex as people think.

beau - just wondering, you have a reservoir in your cabin, have you ever knocked the cap off with your elbow or something or been picked on by scrutineers at all?

Simon-KE70
15th June 2009, 10:26 PM
ive yet to drive a hydro set up that doesnt fuck with the footbrake in operation.

some that i have driven have been quite deadly... entering a high speed corner at full angle and u need to wash off the speed a tad, hit the foot brake but they dont work cause the handbrake is on and preventing it.... scary as.

pen15
16th June 2009, 10:12 PM
well keep in mind im not that good with my hands and i defiantly don't have the know how to make my own up so i was just thinking of buying 1 and seeing how i like it

pen15
23rd June 2009, 08:56 PM
ok i have a pic of the sw motorsports hb
the good 1
here you go Joel where you looking for this

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/2/8/17062.jpg

not to expensive either at 400 for this particular one pictured with the latch and master so not to bad

Nic19
4th October 2009, 07:03 PM
whats the final verdict with this? im gonna use an r31 diff and i will be running a hydro handbrake but would rather T the line into the rear brake line. is it ok to do this with r31 calipers or do i have to go for vs ones? also how many people are running a twin caliper set-up compared to just Ting into the brake line?

Katatonic
5th October 2009, 03:08 PM
Any one used the SW Motorsport one?

How easy was it all to fit etc?

R&D Mechanical
5th October 2009, 03:19 PM
whats the final verdict with this? im gonna use an r31 diff and i will be running a hydro handbrake but would rather T the line into the rear brake line. is it ok to do this with r31 calipers or do i have to go for vs ones? also how many people are running a twin caliper set-up compared to just Ting into the brake line?

The R31 calipers seize up after a while, some dude on 31 club rebuilt his (mega dollar too) and used a hydro and a month later BOOM! fucked and seized, i recommend vs ones straight bolt up i think?

To do it proper you would run twin calipers, but i spose if its a track only car then just Ting should be alright

Nic19
5th October 2009, 03:27 PM
It's a street car. But I don't know why ting it in wouldn't work fine? I know you loose pressure wen trying to use both at the same time but surely it can still be effective for a simpler setup

Delazy
5th October 2009, 03:36 PM

save urself ALOT of effort and go straight to running the VS caliper....the r31 calipers are pathetic

ke70dave
5th October 2009, 04:41 PM
well keep in mind im not that good with my hands and i defiantly don't have the know how to make my own up so i was just thinking of buying 1 and seeing how i like it

only one way to get "good with your hands" is to start somewhere mate.

that one you have there looks ok. but for $400?

its just a master cylinder with a handle.....

i wouldn't go throwing money away like that.

making your own is going to take some thinking yes, and some effort. and propably a bit of trial and error (depending how lucky you are) but thats half the fun.

bit if you have your mind set on buying one, they are all the same mate. a mastercylinder and a handle.

and also i would be VERY weary of connecting one inline with your standard lines. i would want it totally separate from my foot brake, separate calipers the lot. but that's just me...

Nic19
5th October 2009, 05:08 PM
yeh im gonna go straight to vs calipers!

how many people here are running seperate set-up and how many people are running it inline??

i suppose while the diff is out i could get it done as a twin caliper set-up, what calipers should i use?
also is there any way of having it so there isnt a master full of fluid inside the car?

Nic19
5th October 2009, 05:10 PM
another question i forgot to ask is, with a seperate caliper set-up and a seperate master, will it still loose pressure like an inline one would if used like a park brake?

Delazy
5th October 2009, 05:17 PM
another question i forgot to ask is, with a seperate caliper set-up and a seperate master, will it still loose pressure like an inline one would if used like a park brake?

yes...if your worried about that then a hydro handbrake isnt for you

Katatonic
5th October 2009, 05:18 PM
How does a twin caliper setup work? Go any articles on it / what I need to get?

I want to set it all up completely independent.

Nic19
5th October 2009, 05:23 PM
Delazy if im using an r31 diff then there is no other option but to use a hydro cos the stock handbrake sucks!
its not worrying me that much as i will sort something out for it or just not park on steep hills.

sundee
5th October 2009, 06:05 PM
its easy, u just need to get a master that has its own resevour, run the lines to the new calipers , done.

$400 "i" dont think its throwing away money, SWR make hi quality components and have been in rally for decades.

and its solid steel not cheap aluminum.. its definatly not going to bend

that one pictured they make in upright pull and upright push style aswell.

if anyone want a twin caliper setup w/ VR and R31 calipers and brackets to suit an F series PM me. comes with disc's aswell.