PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying this gearbox - t50 TRD?

Jrad
1st February 2014, 05:35 PM
Hello wonderful mechanical experts, of which I am not!

I purchased this box a while back, and never took any notice until moving it today.
Now it's apparently a T50 -> 4age box - and it appears to have an ADM 4AGE bellhousing.
I noticed it has "TRD" stamped on it, as well as the TEQ on the same part of the gearbox.

Is anyone able to shed some light on this, what it may possibly be, what it may mean etc.?
I know TRD developed a close ratio box, but would they stamp it as well?

Thanks for any help in advance!

KE70GT
1st February 2014, 07:23 PM
I don't know what's in the gearbox but I don't think that casing is TRD they wouldn't take two attempts to press the D in trd so that's been done by someone else but it could still have trd bits in it

AJPS
1st February 2014, 07:36 PM
its definitely been opened at some stage

Jrad
1st February 2014, 08:18 PM
It's 100% been opened, I know that for fact, haha.

And yes, KE70GT, I thought exactly the same thing in regards to the D. But then thought "Why would anyone go to that effort?"
It wasn't advertised as TRD when I bought it, just as a regular T50 box.
So if it wasn't for advertising purposes to try and drive the price up, what purpose would that serve?

But, still, does anyone know of Toyota stamping boxes/and what it may mean, regardless of this box in particular?

KE70GT
1st February 2014, 09:41 PM
if you have enough money to be buying trd gearbox parts you would probably have 5 or 6 t50's lying around the place some broken some good and some with trd parts in them id be stamping the trd one with trd not to be confused I know I have 6 t50's in my garage and I know atleast three of them arn't any good but i've forgot which ones gotta pull them apart and find out some time lol

Jrad
1st February 2014, 10:30 PM
Hmm, a convincing explanation indeed.
A stamp doesn't come off like a piece of tape might haha.

Well, no idea what the box drives like. Guess I'll find out once it's in the car. Not expecting anything more than a regular t50, but would be a nice surprise for something extra, haha.

jdm86gtz
2nd February 2014, 01:11 AM
Open the box and check if the main section of lay shaft is 1 piece or separate gears splined onto the shaft.

Willofan
2nd February 2014, 08:23 AM
I have stamped each of my boxes with the 1st gear ratio with Q for Quaife, TRD and Std so I know which one to use at each circuit.

Suggest opening it up and checking before you put it in, for the cost of a few gaskets and front & rear seal it is easy to do. Then you know what you have.

My concern would be if 1st gear is a 2.34:1, it would be hard on your clutch if you are using it as your daily.

LittleRedSpirit
2nd February 2014, 02:33 PM
Cant you just approximate the ratios from comparing in and out rotation, that will tell you, the ratios are wildly different on the trd gear sets, especially first.

timbo
2nd February 2014, 06:00 PM
Gear sets are TRD, not cases. Do as LittleRedSpirit said, easiest way to check. I'd take a punt on extra $$$ by means of letter punches. Could also be a great find.