PDA

View Full Version : Introducing "Cherry"

Mad RS
7th February 2014, 05:31 PM
Hi Everyone,
Let me introduce "Cherry" (aka Cherry Blossom). There is a Japanese saying that goes something like "Even though each cherry blossom is different, they are all perfect". This is how I see Her.

I purchased this car off 86sp (Thanks heaps mate, she will be well looked after) so she is bought not built but if I was to build a hatchi I would hope that it would turn out something like this.

Here is a list of all the fruit that came with the car:

ENGINE -
Smallport 4AGZE
Cometic metal headgasket
ARP headstuds
TODA 264/256, 7.9mm lift cams
New timing belt, cam and crank seals
Garret 2860RS turbo
Custom stainless turbo manifold
3" exhaust, dump to rear muffler
Turbosmart boost controller
Cut and shut inlet manifold
550cc injectors (from an Evo?)
VL turbo fuel pump
Tomei FPR
Custom ignition leads
Bosch coils (mounted inside cabin)
Microtech LT10s computer
K&N air filter
Turbosmart duel port BOV
HKS oil cooler kit (with filter relocator)
Custom catch can
GTIR front mount intercooler with stainless piping
Alloy radiator with thermo

DRIVELINE -
NPC billet flyhweel
NPC custom clutch (using 4G63 pressure plate)
W57 gearbox
Custom bell housing
Hardy Spicer 1 piece tailshaft
Hilux diff with shimmed up stock LSD (4.11 ratio)

SUSPENSION -
Full Shockworks Coilover suspension
Cusco front strut brace
Front and rear Whiteline adjustable swaybars
Apex engineering adjustable 4 link
Whiteline adjustable panhard rod

BRAKES -
AJPS Civic/RX7 front brake kit
EBC slotted discs
Greenstuff Pads
R31 rear calipers
Near new rotors and pads

WHEELS AND TYRES -
Dynamic D Steel wheels in 15x8 +0
Federal 595RSR 205/50/15 all round

INTERIOR -
4 point welded in roll cage (Front only)
AJPS Harness bar
Sparco Sprint fixed back seats
Custom rails
Sparco 3" harnesses
JustJap steering wheel
Pivot tacho with built in shift light
APEXi copy gauges - oil pressure and water temp
Battery relocated to hatch
Fire extinguisher
AJPS dash mat

EXTERIOR -
Full respray in Mazda red
Rolled guards all round
JDM Whiteline taillights

I'll try my best to keep people informed of any new mods that I may add. At the moment I will be just refining what I have.

And here are some recent photo's that I have taken:

drift kid
8th February 2014, 06:24 PM
Neat man

Mirko
9th February 2014, 12:00 PM
Nice mods list but no images come up

joeschmo_57
11th February 2014, 01:59 PM
Yeah that's night and prices really well!

Mad RS
11th February 2014, 04:57 PM
Mirko- I can see the images so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Joe- Mate I have no response to that reply. No clue what you mean.

Mirko
11th February 2014, 05:32 PM
yeah not its working browser must be nuts. Car looks mint what kind of power you getting also what size cooler is that doing same conversion and looking for right size

Mirko
11th February 2014, 05:32 PM
Scrap that question just saw it was a gtir

Mad RS
12th February 2014, 09:08 AM
Hey Mirko. At the moment I'm not sure on power. When it was running 50/50 98 and e85 and with a standard head I was told it got 290rwhp. Since there is no e85 pumps around my area and the TODA cams have been installed I'm just running on BP Ultimate and have to take it easy until it gets retuned. Cherry is booked into Horsepower Solutions on 25/2/2014 so Justin can work his magic. Fingers crossed she goes well.

Mirko
12th February 2014, 09:19 AM
Hey Mirko. At the moment I'm not sure on power. When it was running 50/50 98 and e85 and with a standard head I was told it got 290rwhp. Since there is no e85 pumps around my area and the TODA cams have been installed I'm just running on BP Ultimate and have to take it easy until it gets retuned. Cherry is booked into Horsepower Solutions on 25/2/2014 so Justin can work his magic. Fingers crossed she goes well.

Wow 290 on those mods is fantastic as doing very similar. Might need that f series diff and w58 gearbox earlier then l thought. Keep me posted car is great

Mad RS
13th February 2014, 02:13 PM
Yeah the 290 is yet to be seen. I am a little sceptical but as I can't rev the car past 4,000rpm atm I can't say if that figure is correct. Once Justin tunes it I'll post up a dyno sheet for all to see. Bring on the 25th!!!

Mirko
13th February 2014, 02:16 PM
Yeah the 290 is yet to be seen. I am a little sceptical but as I can't rev the car past 4,000rpm atm I can't say if that figure is correct. Once Justin tunes it I'll post up a dyno sheet for all to see. Bring on the 25th!!!

Well keep us posted keen to follow this one. Just got a new batch if parts in today so still a little of finishing my build but it's getting there and that kind of power would be crazy fun

marvis
13th February 2014, 07:07 PM
Tidy!

Mad RS
25th February 2014, 09:58 PM
Well the engine tune went better that I thought. Other than a few small issues Justin at Horsepower Solutions managed a solid 295rwhp. The TPS was faulty so it is tuned without that connected but after getting home I found the earth wire spade in the plug was broken. So I'll fix that tomorrow and then the tune will be even smoother.

On another note I had the guys at Fulcrum Suspension at Browns Plains do a full work over of the wheel alignment. The setup feels really great and Matt seems to really know his stuff. Definitely recommend both Horsepower Solutions and Fulcrum Suspension at Browns Plains to anyone.

Jrad
26th February 2014, 10:53 AM
Wow,that is a SOLID figure for an 86! But seeing that list of hardware, looks like it's all there to back it up.
Nice one, man!

How do you feel it handles and drives? More prone to over/understeer? Lots of grip, or is it quite loose?

Mad RS
26th February 2014, 12:00 PM
Hey Jrad,
With the way the car is setup it feels like it has a tonne of grip. I'm sure its got more than enough RWHP to break traction but I like grip more than drift so it has been setup for that.

Can't recommend Justin at Horsepower Solutions more highly. Does a fantastic job.

luke20
26th February 2014, 05:53 PM
Can't recommend Justin at Horsepower Solutions more highly. Does a fantastic job.

Ill second that! Justin tuned my car and I was super happy with the outcome and with how it drove. Would definitely recommend Horse Power Solutions to anyone!

CoR*
24th March 2014, 01:50 AM
Saw this at MCM meet... Very tidy :)

blair
24th March 2014, 10:06 PM
You have moree power by 3000 than most of us have at 7000 hahaha!

Very nice car mate, wish mine looked as nice

Mad RS
26th March 2014, 11:33 AM
Thanks guys. Was great to see the turnout at MCM meet and I got to talk to a lot of people who were interested in Cherry. There was an awesome mix of cars out at QR on the day and I was lucky enough to get Moog and Marty to have a look at a 'real' 86. Moog loved the pool hose used to direct vented air to the intake pipe of the turbo and Marty was impressed in the Hp figure and workmenship in the engine bay (thanks Michael). All in all a great day.

Mirko
27th March 2014, 07:25 PM
Hey mate quick one what size flywheel did u fit

Mad RS
31st March 2014, 11:19 AM
Hey Mirko,
Sorry mate but she was all put together when I bought her. When I crack the engine and gearbox apart I will try and find out. Clutch still feels good atm so it may be a while. Apparently its running a Evo/hybrid setup clutch if that helps.

Mirko
31st March 2014, 12:23 PM
Thanks champ think l have it sorted now but thanks again

Mad RS
8th October 2014, 12:25 PM
Well just a quick update on Cherry.

Spent last week fitting a complete set of Shockworks coilovers and AJPS RX-7\EG brake upgrade to the car. There were a few teething problems getting both to fit together but nothing a little grinding, measuring and re-grinding didn't fix. I have decided to try hill climbing so I wanted factory geometry as the previous setup did induce a little bit too much oversteer for my liking. Can't wait to try the setup out on the track. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress.

Mad RS
14th May 2015, 04:34 PM
Well it is a sad day but I have to put Cherry up for sale. With the prospect of losing my job in the next month, the weight of a loan hanging over my head and health issues making it hard to find a decent paying job it is time to part with the car.

Mirko
16th May 2015, 02:02 AM
Very sad to hear mate. Dam shame

ae8zn6
17th May 2015, 11:48 AM
Shame to see that you have to sell up, I seriously considered buying it when you bought it, if I was up for a new street car atm I would be all over this thing

Mad RS
1st May 2016, 08:25 PM
Car is still fr sale. Now has custom VDO dash and Performance Superlites in 15x8 -4.