PDA

View Full Version : Clutch issues

sprint86
17th August 2009, 08:03 PM
I have just installed a new clutch and flywheel into my sprinter, its a 4age 20 valve,
after changing everything, i have bled my clutch line, clutch feels great when car is off, but when i start the car, clutch feels like there isnt anything there. it only engages just before it hits the foor, and is making gear selection very hard,

If anyone has an info, that would be great
cheers josh

ROLL3R
17th August 2009, 08:31 PM
i have the same problem, except i can feel the clutch its there its very heavy on the foot, but same problem it picks up about an inch off the floor. highly annoying while quick shifting. its an RPM heavy duty clutch. i've heard you can modify the clutch slave with a smaller push rod to decrease pedal travel. any one done this before?

Javal
17th August 2009, 09:05 PM
i have just installed a new clutch and flywheel into my sprinter, its a 4age 20 valve,
after changing everything, i have bled my clutch line, clutch feels great when car is off, but when i start the car, clutch feels like there isnt anything there. it only engages just before it hits the foor, and is making gear selection very hard,
if anyone has an info, that would be great
cheers josh

Adjust the master cylinder pushrod stroke until it is at a point which suits you.

Get under your dash, you MAY have to remove your clutch pedal for this (a few times over), but it's only 1 bolt (pivot bolt at the top of the pedal) and the stud + clip which connects the pedal to the master cyl pushrod.

Have a look underneath and you'll work it out pretty quickly.

From the sounds of it you need to wind the little fork that sits on a thread on your pushrod in a few turns.

Refit the clutch pedal and see if it's better.

If it's improved but not right, then repeat process.

DO NOT lose the little white bushes which sit in the pivot of the pedal. It's easy to do if you're retarded like me.

i have the same problem, except i can feel the clutch its there its very heavy on the foot, but same problem it picks up about an inch off the floor. highly annoying while quick shifting. its an RPM heavy duty clutch. i've heard you can modify the clutch slave with a smaller push rod to decrease pedal travel. any one done this before?

I would only recommend doing this (i have done it) if your clutch master pushrod is too long, resulting in your pedal sitting somewhere in lunar orbit and a very high take-up.

Shortening it is simple. Remove master, wind nut to end of thread, use hacksaw to remove desired amount of pushrod, wind nut off to clean out thread.

Once again, this will only work in certain situations.

I'd recommend doing the opposite of above (winding your connector fork thingy OUT a few turns) and see how you go, as shortening the pushrod will make your problem much much worse.

jay70
17th August 2009, 09:27 PM
i have this problem but on a ke70, how do i adjust the cable or whatever it is?

Javal
17th August 2009, 09:35 PM
i have this problem but on a ke70, how do i adjust the cable or whatever it is?

Look at the pedal end of the cable. If there's no adjustment there, check the fork end of the cable.

Adjust as necessary.

sprint86
19th August 2009, 12:28 AM
thanks heaps for the coments guys, javal- u have been a great help!
im going to try and fix this tomorow!
josh

slide86
19th August 2009, 12:31 AM
thanks heaps for the coments guys, javal- u have been a great help!
im going to try and fix this tomorow!
josh

never thought id see the day

Javal
19th August 2009, 12:37 AM
never thought id see the day

Seems I actually took time out from my usual trolling activities to help for once.

sprint86
19th August 2009, 07:22 PM
hey javal- that was the exact problem with my clutch pedal, i adjusted the puchrod, my car now drives bloody awsome!!!
cheers guys, problem solved!!!!

biggo
20th August 2009, 09:01 PM
somebody give this guy a medal

todd
20th August 2009, 09:04 PM
http://www.hairyfishnuts.com/GeorgeTenetMedal.jpg