Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Drift (in) Australia; What now?

Name
    Marchi
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Im not really new but i am to drift lol. Biggest problem i see are threads talking about drift dying. Im not having a go by the way but honestly something im seeing more of and im like wtf am i doing building a drift car atm.
    Now drift might be getting less popular at the moment. But people have to remember that a lot of people that were earning bulk cash have lost jobs.

new people coming into drift are generally young ppl just starting out. Most think they are not worthy of competing in a battle yet.
    I have to admit im a bit nervous of going down. Dont really wanna battle and have my car taken out or taking someone elses car out coz i dunno what im doing.

Its not just drift that i hear the comment about the guys that always win intimidate the guys just starting out coz they cant win. Well competing isnt about winning. Its about getting better so can take out the guys at the top one day. I wouldn't wanna go out be pretty average and win. That doesn't tell me im ne good.

People need to worry less about what the scene is like right now and keep getting down to drift as much as possible. Whether to watch, practice or compete. So that these organizers dont close the drift scene down for good. Then when money actually pics up again and we start seeing more people spending money on drift cars then we can watch it boom.

Organizers also need to think more on how to grow as opposed on hey crap y isn't ne1 coming. Oh well just keep on doing what where doing if it doesn't get better then we wont run it nemore.
    I know advertising costs money but u gotta spend money to make money. I saw 1 ad for the Drift comp in WA this weekend. How are ppl suppose to know its on? I dunno what its like in the other states but advertising is shocking in Perth. Not just for drift but other events to.

Neway just things Ive noticed as a person starting to get into drift and things that go through my head reading all this.

Name
    Sam
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Raceline are running a series that will have rounds from Cairns to Adelaide. The first round was held at parklands last sunday, the next round is in tamworth this sunday. There is another qld round at QR in april i think also.

In regards to the running with the V8's.. Not very likely to happen.. They are a Cam's and the organisers are mental about drifting.. When we do the ontrack demos at indy and sandown they freak out over the radios the entire time.. Good idea but it would fail hard as drifting requires alot more time to run than a typical start finish race. We need to get people on and off the track constantly so very very doubtful..

Name
    Aaron
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I'd love to see a state of origin style series. Local clubs have a small mini series where points and stuff are kept. Top 3 go into a yearly or maybe bi-yearly competition that is held at different states each time. Be good to see a bit of state rivalry going on.

Veteran
    Name
    john
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

+++++++1

hell yeah ... something like that would be awesome .

Name
    Dan
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

does Danny Vahoumis drive for Miluc Cival ??
    didnt he have his own shit in osborne park called JPC - japanese performance centre
    Last edited by doony; 16th March 2009 at 07:53 PM.
    but it pisses me off when people assume your hooning cos your car is loud, has bald tires, a roll cage, fresh bake and dinted bumpers!!
    Or driving in a wolf pack.

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

mulic civil just sponsored the WA DA contingent... so yeah, he was part of team mulic civil, although he did/does run his own store: JPC

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerby86 View Post
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

what i wanted to try and get going, was get one of the tracks on the sunny coast, like big go kart track or something ivolved, and have a 4 round series, where first round is like parklands for all the gold coast boys, then archie for the bris boys, then big kart track for the sunny coast, then hold the finals at qr. good mix of tracks, not TOO far apart, 4 events can be spaced pretty nicely, brings some variation to the field, as the sunny coast has a few good drivers, but most could never be bothered to drive to the tracks. Dont care about going on forums and having their cars in members rides and stuff. it could bring them out, have a bit of area patriotism.

da is pretty unnecessary, like you know, so what 2 aussies go over to america for red bull, i like drift as much as the next guy and i just really didnt care, i care more about the local stuff because its here, its relevent, and its pretty high class, it became a battle of who was the one who made this mistake, not the battle of who can drive the most impressive run.
    wheelfriends.wordpress.com

YES! FUCK YES! Best call ever!

i think its good that da is dead.
    dont get me wrong, i used to love turning on the telly on a sun lunch to watch my favouite ausie "d1's" battle it out (it used to be on speedweek... every week!)

BUT i hated the V8 falcodore infuence.

i still see commo wagons with "caution, vehicle frequently sideways" and it makes me sad.
    i do love a drift pig, (it's almost what i prefer) but roll-over drift is never appealing and every now and then i get told about some "massive drift" some retard managed that was nothing more than a big exit (or worse a single spinner "mums taxi" squeal).
    I dont tell many people what i like doing in my car, because of what they then want to talk to me about. i can deal with dumbass questions like "what does an lsd do?" but i cant deal with the "how is that not a drift?" question/argument.

I liked it when drift was a mystery to most and a passion to few.

Sure, Hollywood did some serious damage to the scene (i'll leave it at that...). but when the showstopper for an event (anyone remember the "CAPA ute", among others) does not belong anywhere near the grass-roots you have a serious problem.

It is a shame that good things like drift battle magazine died, but the real fans are still out there and as long as there's drift practice nites/curly roads at nite the real sport will live on.

Banned

Keeping it grass roots is the best way, drifting isnt as popular as most people think, ive seen the D1 trying to make it big in the UK & it fell flat with the D1 just walking away. Then multiple other attempt to get different series going.
    Prodrift in Ireland have done the best job holding both an Irish an European series, they have a good fan base & sell shit loads of merchandise. They do put on a good show though with alot of emphasis put on each driver at the start of the events & between runs with the guys having their own tune & they all have to be introduced & do a few tricks etc,,, they do have very good commentators & make sure that everyone can hear/understand whats going on, which is something I have seen lacking at the few events Ive attended over here. That gold/sunnycoast/Brissy comp was a good idea

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast