Thread: Josh's first 86 - New to toyotas; need help with electrical issues :(

Name
    Josh
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default Josh's first 86 - Slow, apprentice wage funded project :P

Hello all, my name's josh (as you may have already figured out!)

I've just recently purchased my first ADM 86, 1983 model . Body and interoir wise it's not in such a bad shape, a little bit of rust near the NSF door and fuel cap, but underneath its pretty clean. The suspension and driveline are pretty disappointing though. Still has S series rear end (which, much to my dismay, has a welded diff) and whines like hell when you go over 60kmh. Also has a really really bad steering shudder at speeds over 80, I'm not sure whether it's caused by really unbalanced wheels, the 20mm spacers or the (disappointingly) chopped springs

Plans are to get some coilovers, a T series disc rear end setup (with LSD if my wallet allows it), engine rebuild/swap, find all missing interior bits, rust repair and respray. I guess this is the start to a long journey, but im sure ill enjoy it all the way!

Now the car has had a 3 rib bigport conversion, but i don't know any details/history of the swap and it doesn't look like it was a workshop job, more like a backyard half assed thing . The car cranks for quite a while on cold start (fuel pressure?), and idles like crap (constantly dies) until the temp is warm. Wipers don't work, I have no washer bottle my headlights only work on high beam. NONE of my dash lights work; only the warning lights and indicators and ac/econ buttons.

Now coming from a background of hondas (i've still got one as a daily till i get this thing up to standards ), and this being my first toyota i actually wanted to work on, I woudn't have the slightest clue where to start my diagnosis. It's my main concern and priority to get this lights issue fixed, cause i can't see anything on the cluster at night

The previous owner has told me that he used a custom wiring loom for the 4age conversion (had a quick look in the engine bay today and there were plugs hanging in odd places etc) and that to fix the issues i'd need a zenki 4age engine loom because it will hook up to the stock ADM interior loom... (please correct me if im wrong in any of this, hopeless with electrics haha)

My question is, is what the prev owner said true? Would a zenki 4age loom fix the lights issue and possibly make the car idle a bit better? Or would it be better for me to just take the car to an auto elec to get everything sorted out?
    If anyone can shed any light on this, it would be very much appreciated! Or if someone wouldn't mind coming over and helping me diagnose everything, I WILL pay lol; either in money or beer

Anyway enough rambling from me today, here's some pics!

And my daily driver! one of the best cars i've ever driven

Thanks for reading!
    Looking forward to learning everything i can about the 86 chassis
    Will try to do frequent updates!

-Josh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1098170_10201747704752948_1690666682_n.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	29079  
    Last edited by josh.; 26th August 2013 at 10:51 PM.

Name
    Daniel
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Had the same issue with the headlights. I found that a soldered join on my indicator stalk had broken off, so only high beam was working. Re-soldered the connection which solved the issue. Just pull the column surround off and you'll quickly know if there is a broken join on the stalk. Or you could simply have a bunga light switch!!!
    Last edited by 4A-GE Power; 5th August 2013 at 12:06 AM.

Name
    Laurence
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Can i ask what the hell were those things holding on the rear wing? Upside down bolts?

Name
    Josh
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

4age power
    Thanks! Ill be sure to check it out tomorrow if I get the chance

Turn69up
    They were some sort of bunnings bolts. Horrible, horrible things now my tailgate has like 100 holes in it

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Motorculture mobile app

Name
    Laurence
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I literally want to what he was thinking. thinks "man this wing is going to have over 9000 down forces i need not a rivit or even a normal bolt but a dynabolt evey 30mm, gona have soo much down force "

Name
    Mirko
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

What's the plans for the car dude? If its gonna just be track and you can be assed get a new loom and re do it all that way you know it's clean that's what I am doing. Aftermarket loom is 160 plus shipping

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Nice car, sing out if you are chasing the wiring diagrams for it.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Josh
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Plans are for it to be a reliable street car, with the very occasional track days. Nothing more. Im on the lookout for a proper RWD loom; and if that doesn't work, ill just take it to an auto elec and get everything sorted out hahah

Yeah i think he overestimated the power of a worn out 4age. I've never come across a wing bolted on with more than 10 bolts... :L

Will do man, thanks!

------

Anyway did a tiny bit more work tonight, i work full time so it's hard to get back home while the sun's still out

Took the front bar off, got rid of the HID kit, and sussed out the conversion wiring loom (if you can even call it that)
    Turns out sometime in it's life, this car was turbocharged! vertical bit of the rad support has been remade and there are mounts for an intercooler and holes on the side for piping..

Excuse the shitty night time pics, samsung GS4 has an awesome camera

Name
    Mirko
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Yeah guy before me started a 4agze conversion have like 3 harnesses in all . But gonna get a standard 12 would be perfect if yours is in a sham as well and normally cheaper then another harness

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I remember looking at this car a while back, the dash had a cutout in it near in front of the passenger side, a 4agte was installed in the bay and the rear had some rust in it. The gte was running for a short while before the head had some pretty major issues.

The coilovers were leaking and it also had rx7 brakes.

Phouc / Richard would know more about it, but it is good to see it went to a good home.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast