Thread: The daily build

Name
    Tom
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Default The daily build

Ok so i'm not sure how much of a build thread this will turn out to be as it will be less building and more preserving.

I picked up this one about a year ago and was planning to use it as a reshell for my track car (nice clean base with virtually no rust). Had 148,000km with full books, everything standard, including a/c (sort of still worked) and virtually unused 13" alloy (original tyre still had the coloured lines visible). The only problem with the car was the cracks in the dash, but appart from that it was as-new condition.

Couple of pics when I first picked it up.

Decided to get some new park lights as the old ones were faded and the chrome inside was comming off.

Then got some mint stocko's to bling it up a bit more.

Which then soon changed to some 15x6.5" +8 volk racing mesh, wrapped in re001's.

Decided to retire the 4ac at 150,000km service and drop in a bluetop bigport 4age. The engine was very dirty when I received it (no before shots), all the cam covers were corroded and paint flaking off. I gave the entire engine a reseal, fitted new gasket, new waterpump and housing, new rwd alternator bracket and new timing belt. Some pics of what it looked like before it went in.

I wired re-wired the engine bay with a jdm ae86 zenki 4age wiring harness and adapted it to the adm engine bay harness. I could have kept the adm wiring harness although due to some previous electrical work for the A/C (aftermarket a/c upgrade for new gas) the loom had been hacked up in places and key wiring colours had been changed (I also wanted to run ac on my 4age, so factory wiring would be needed). I kept the jdm engine bay loom relatively plug-in so that even if I upgraded the interior loom later down the track it would still work nicely. Since I am not one to take a lot of pics during engine swaps (done too many), below is a pic of the engine in.

So after I got it all running, I fitted a JDM washer bottle and new overflow tank, and TRD leads.

I then got the JDM 4age A/C setup fitted, retrofitted and gassed. A lot of the wiring inside had to be changed back to factory as the aftermarkt A/C fitted also changed switches, and the amplifying circuit. I therefore fitted adm a/c wiring components and wired them to the jdm engine bay loom. It worked well for 4weeks until the compressor let go and blew a front seal (probably due to the compressor comming off a track car). The compressor was replaced with another one (4ac compressors are the same, just different pulleys) and haven't had a problem since.

I bought a new OEM lip to fit zenki front bars. I bought another front bar to fit it to, and gave them a coat of black plastic trim paint.

Fitted it to the car along with kingsprings and kyb excel g shocks.

I decided to buy a flip grill with the actuator to utilise the automatic flipping part of the grill. I am yet to hook it up, but will get to it when I have the time.

Lastly I stole an AW11 airbox (thanks kAm ) as they are pretty much the same as factory ae86 airbox, just a couple of mounts are in different spots.

That's pretty much it for now. I don't really see any major updates happening within the next few months as I will be spending most time getting my track build finished.

Future plans (no particular order):
    Rebuilt smallport fitted
    OR
    AE92/101 4AGZE conversion (factory style setup).
    Full respray to fix imperfections to body (and repair minor rust).
    New tint
    OEM plastic sideskirts
    Replace cracked dash or recondition current one.
    Fit t-series rear (either t18 or disc, have both but haven't decided).
    Re-do exhaust (add factory secondaries and maybe another muffler).

Some other things ive probably forgotten but yeah probably not worth mentioning.
    1983 AE86 ADM rust spec goodness track car build - end of the road
    1984 AE86 Silver ADM mk2 daily build - SOLD
    1984 AE86 ADM granny car daily now 4AGZE - SOLD
    1983 AE86 ADM Engine Conversion Slut - SOLD
    2002 IS200 6spd - new daily in progress
    1986 AE86 JDM GT-Apex Levin Notchback ready to roll......

Name
    Dom
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

I wish i gad the money at the time to buy this one
    Good buy Tom, and its coming along nicely.
    The Track Car Build: Indigo
    The Street Car Build: Street Build
    A Heap Of For Sale: The Heap

Name
    Tom
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Update:

Put in a rebuilt bigport with a decked head and machined block for slightly higher compression, machined crank with oversized bearings, bores honed with standard sized pistons (did not need a rebore) and running smallport cam gears and oil pump. Other then that it was fairly stock.

Getting there:

Almost ready:

Had it running on Sunday night and had to put some k's on it before going to the skidpan session a mate had organised on the following Saturday. Bed the engine in for high power and dropped the oil after 30-40km and put some fresh decent oil (still mineral) which should last for the next 1500-2000km.

Ended up putting 150km onto the engine before it got to the AHG track. I was contemplating putting my kaaz 2way t-series into it for this session but i had no time to fit it (although i really needed it ).

Some youtube vids so far:
    - one of my cleaner runs for the day
    - munching a cone

Hopefully more to come but overall it was a great day and the motor had no issues at all. I didn't really have much competition, mainly v6 commodore auto's

I have a T-series disc rear to put in eventually after I pull it down and service it and probably will get an lsd for it. I do need some thicker sway bars as the roll (partly to do with king springs) was a bit annoying.

Also got my flip grille working, kinda cool but takes long time to open unless you are thrashing it.

Name
    Tom
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Got another run. This was my last run for the day so was trying to keep it tidy and not soo much wheel spin.

Also took a video of the flip grill in action:

The flip grill does open fully but the video converter cut it short.

Name
    Joe
    State
    NT
    Country
    Australia

rediculously nice there mate.

any updates?

joe
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdm-Mcc View Post
    quit hatin get bakin!

Name
    Daniel
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

looks sweet, that engine looks MINT! nice work and the engine bay is so tidy. very good job.

the first few pics look like the one ive seen around my way recently ... all stock but nice white paint.

Keep up the good work.
    My AE86 the long build : http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...ead.php?t=8965 < the new rebirth of Wolverine starting from page 41.

Need Tyres? PM me, most brands in stock!
    Need a Mechanic? Injector cleaning, brake and flywheel machining, custom made brake lines soft and hard, block and head decking, custom made exhausts, wheel alignments, suspension work. PM me Located 40min south of Newcastle.

Name
    MAL
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

hell yeah this is a very tidy car! good stuff

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Uhhh, as far as updates go Im fairly sure Toms new thread essentially will become the replacement for this thread. This car now runs a GZE and Im fairly sure he parted out the pristine motor shown in the engine bay above

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerby86 View Post
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Name
    Mereki
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

love it dont see to many 86's that are dont just right, keep it up and dont wreck it

mereki.
    ~KEEP DRIFTING FUN~