Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Ugly Duckling. SR86. 'Haters gunna hate, Tyres gunna bake'

Name
    JoJo
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Easy fix?

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Well, I knew what I was doing a bit better this time, but I was by myself...

I mean I couldnt fix the old box, so it was just another bellhousing swap

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerby86 View Post
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Box back in the car, engine lifted back into place, both xmembers re-secured...

Hoping to test fit the driveshaft tomorrow, then onto removing the diff again and doing some more work and the rear brake setup

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Name
    phil
    State
    qld
    Country
    australia

just read this from start to now making some stout progress man I love it hated the red but loving what your doing I personally don't like sr's but would have one over a 4a anyday. loving it man will be keen on updates.

Name
    Paul
    State
    Vic
    Country
    Australia

Robbo, I just read all the pages in this thread...wow. Looking good buddy, but now we need to see some motivation to get it all done and get out on the track!

Also, have you considered running it on E85, if not, why not? Huge advantages and very few draw-backs. Look into it.

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Well, I am hoping to make some more progress over the holidays. I bought some speedflow fittings etc and made up a braided clutch line with banjo fittings the other day. I think I will tackle the fuel system next...

Wiring loom is being looked at over the break as well, so it would be nice to have the fuel and intake sorted so that I can go straight to firing it up.

Hey Lummy, I see you haven't been too busy over the holidays, Not considering E85 at this point, mainly based off practicality of storing more types of fuel and needing to upgrade the injectors again

Current Cars:

Name
    Max
    State
    Hawaii
    Country
    United States

Wow... this project looks great! Great choice in powerplants.

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Thanks v-chip!

OK, time for the first real update in quite a while...

As I said above, with a little time available over the break I decided to dive back into it.

Fuel system: I inherited a working fuel system from this car's 1GGTE days, but I really didn't like the placement of the surge tank. In the previous setup the owner had gone to quite a length to make up a custom surge tank and he even ran his own (larger) input and return lines from the fuel tank itself and a larger fuel line under the car too! (Thanks mate!) BUT he decided that he was going to put that custom surge tank under the rear quarter of the car... protected by all of the strength of the 1mm sheet metal of the guard... Well I guess as a street car not a HUGE deal, but as a drift car, where it is certainly possible that the rear quarter could eventually end up getting scrapped along a wall, not cool. I mean not only is there the risk of sparks and what not from the grinding along the concrete, even if it didn't set the car on fire it would mean that even minor damage to the rear quarter would mean I would have to drop out of the event I was in. But I mean its not like drift cars ever take damage in the rear quarters though right?

Even without a wall to hit if someone got too close in a tandem the rear quarter is one of the first places to cop it, so, I went and got myself an I already had a Carter lift pump and Bosch 044 to use as a main pressure pump, so no shopping there

OK, to give people an idea of where these things go, this is the area without the tank yet installed:

This is just under the rear driver's wheel well. You can see the tank guard plastic and the start of the panard bar from its little tower. The tank actually sits right up against the crossemember that the panard bar is anchored to. In fact, don't be tempted to leave a small gap between the tank and the crossmember as I did on the first attempt because the surge tank will then foul on the fuel tank when you try to re install it!

I suggest you drop the fuel tank and undo the hard line anchor point and get everything out of the way and then just play around a little with the surge tank until you are 100% on how it will end up sitting.

Once that is done you will see you need to bend the attachment arm a little in order to get it mount properly, but its a pretty easy job. Again in hindsight I would actually have bent it more aggressively to move the tank a little bit more towards the chassis rail for clearances.

Then you just mark up points to drill some holes so that you can bolt it to the car. I ended up having to elongate my holes a little because I didn't have the surge tank right up against the panard bar support crossmember when I first fitted it up.

Once that is done its just a matter of fitting up your pumps and gear and then connecting the lines to the appropriate hard lines. As I mentioned earlier, my hardlines aren't exactly standard, so I'm not positive, but I would expect that other people fitting this surge tank will also need to bend the factory hardlines as they run essentially right into where your pump will end up sitting. I think mine is also a little further to the center of the car than is completely ideal as my pump practically fouls on the inner support strap for the fuel tank.

Anyway here is a completed picture of my fuel system and a diagram I made to work off before starting:

Since then I have started working on a couple of other little things whilst I wait on a couple of bits/ wait on the funds to get the rest of the bits.

For example, I had originally pieced together a complete(ish) inlet piping system from scraps off the other two setups (ie the 1GGTE and the SRZ32). However, it relied on a lot of silicon joins and to be honest most of those joins had been rubbing on things for a little longer than is ideal in a positive pressure system

So Ken convinced me that I should buy some stainless to make up a fresh system. We went and got some 3" stainless and mandrel bends and I am currently in the process of cutting and test fitting bits here and there. I have decided that I want to wait on my replacement silicon to turn up before I go too much further though because its really hard to uncut bits of stainless when you realise that the pipework will need to sit a little closer/further from the starting point that you assumed was right.

Pics of that in the next week or so, hopefully also with my loom re-installed!

As for starting it up... Well, the things that are really NEEDED are just the inlet pipework, loom and some dash 10 to complete the oil system. Well, that and I will need to get some plugs for the sensor holes until I can afford to order my gauges...

So getting pretty close all of a sudden!

Current Cars:

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Excited to see this running soon...
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    JoJo
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

I always run 2 fuel filters Robbo. Most people don't, but for the sake of a few bux, I would rather have it safe.....

The second filter would be the last point of contact before the fuel enters the fuel rail.... (This filter will prevent engine damage from a damaged fuel pump or any impurities that might come from the fuel system)

Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast