Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Thread: Project Ugly Duckling. SR86. 'Haters gunna hate, Tyres gunna bake'

Name
    Ben
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Yeah, fair enough man

Name
    Mirko
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Great work on the dash man. Did you have any trouble working out the wires from column to hook up to indicator warning lights etc?

Name
    Matt
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

With the way that its running in the video I would say that yes you have a vacuum leak OR, where is your AFM located? If you have them too close to the turbo inlet, or without enough bends between the AFM and the turbo inlet, the turbulence tricks your AFM into thinking that you're at full throttle and increases the injector duty cycle dramatically on SR's.

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Thanks guys,

Yeah it took me a little while looking at circuit diagrams to figure out which wire did what, but in the end I really had no choice but to basically wire all my stuff from scratch. The dash loom was completely butchered by a previous owner so it was a mess and took a little digging around and testing with a multimeter but i got there in the end. I am pretty happy with how it ended up turning out. The other thing I still need to do is set up all of the high and low settings for the warning lights, hmm and calibrate the eboost now too I guess.

Thanks Matt, there is only the 1x45 degree bend in the system from the AFM to the turbo, but you have to remember that that video was the first time the motor had been cracked over in a little over 12 months and there was no exhaust system at all. I will do this leak test over the weekend and then probably wait until I have the exhaust fitted before I start getting too worried about inlet turbulence. I have heard of it being an issue before though, and that is why I currently have a BOV in the system instead of a recirc valve. I suppose I do have room to add a couple of bends if worse comes to worse though, how have you done your inlet setups in the past?

Cheers

-Robbo

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerby86 View Post
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Name
    Mirko
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Hey robbo

Same I got a ez wiring harness and doing it myself and just hooking into some existing stuff like the plug on column to blinkers etc.

Either way top stuff mate well done

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Well, boost leak down test was definitely worth while, turns out that the BOV seal wasn't actually in contact with the flange pipe it was mounted on causing a massive leak and a couple of my old hose clamps weren't really working so I was getting some leakage around a couple of silicon joiners. That's all sorted now after re-mounting the BOV and replacing the clamps so the car is idling much happier. Will be nice to have an exhaust system on it though so that I can run it for a while without causing a small riot in my street. Mind you I think the lift pump is nearly as loud as the engine...

Shouldn't be too long before the thing can move again under it's own power crazy talk

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Name
    JoJo
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

You will be happy with the KAAZ. Did you ever drive my gold 86 with the Kaaz?

Name
    Paul
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Robbo the KAAZ in mine is mint as well, really predictable just make sure you take the time to bed it in properly doing all the figure 8's and stuff.

Name
    Ben
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Yeah I have heard that is very important

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Thanks Paul, yeah I already have planned out an area to do it before proper tuning. It will have to wait for the exhaust to be fixed up though.

I also plan to do an oil flush immediately after the tuning and bedding in of the diff as I hear they shed a fair amount of crap from the clutch plates in the run in procedure.

Yeah I did get to drive the gold car at Wakefield Matsuri, that was the point at which I decided I 100% wanted the Type-S suspension. Your car was super predictable and just exuded a feeling of control I am sure the diff played a part in that as well.

Current Cars:

Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast