Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Ugly Duckling. SR86. 'Haters gunna hate, Tyres gunna bake'

Name
    ryan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

hmmm not looking forward to doing this swap on my rb20 box:/ is there any special tricks to putting the new belhousing on? apart from doing it upright.

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Nope, to be honest it's actually fairly straight forward. I mean it looks pretty out there, with all the gears and selector rods exposed, but really the actual process is pretty much the same as a t-50.

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerby86 View Post
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Buy some gasket stripper and/or a decent hitting stick for destroying the front plate gasket

otherwise, try not to separate the rear and centre sections. The front bearings can be stubborn when being installed/removed. A hammer will be required.

Name
    JoJo
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

The new clutch arrived.....

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Progress has been slow (practically non existent) over the last few days... Its an unfortunate side-effect of working several hours drive from where you live.

The things that have happened have had to do with sourcing parts. The engine mounts are finished and have been collected from the fabricator. A S13/14 flywheel (getting rid of the stock dual mass setup) has been sourced. Hardened rubber mounts have been purchased. Also looking at getting a new radiator sent my way soon.

But until I can get my fat arse back down there not much more will happen to it though

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

PS, all you watchers, get me some pics of black levins with mesh!

Current Cars:

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

OK, Got some more work done today...

Firstly the engine, gearbox, clutch kit, and to be completely honest a bunch of other assorted bits came back to my place. Then there was some running around collecting and having work done to a couple of other bits and pieces...

So:

Collected (and got machined) the S13 flywheel:

Collected the new 'rubber' (seriously hard!) engine mounts:

Then I fitted the Flywheel and clutch:

And then attached the box to the back of the motor:

That was actually more involved then you might think as the bellhousing on the factory 6 speed box is considerably thicker (to accommodate the dual mass flywheel that came out on S15 SR20's). So, when it came time to bolt the box on I found that all of the bolts were the wrong length

Thank god for the interwebz or it would have been a show stopper for a while whilst I figured out the exact lengths and thread pitches I needed to fit the bastard! Anyway, I clearly got it done in the end!

Then I noticed that the Holes the fabricator had drilled in the end of the metal engine mounts were too small for the rubber mounts, no worries, out comes old faithful (my $15 dollar no-name corded drill)!

Nek minnit

Yup... that happened...

Anyway, the drill was on its way out for other reasons, basically smoking its nut off and seriously down on power. So I thought, 'before I hurt myself with this POS I should bite the bullet and get a half decent drill'

Out I go and buy a good quality Makita replacement then, out of habit, I put my off hand where I normally do on old faithful and that turns out to be a bad idea...

Basically I was grabbing on to a rotating piece like the moron I am and copped a pretty decent burn to prove it.

So that slowed me down a fair whack for the rest of the day...

I managed to fit the and then bend the oil dipstick out of the way.

Finally, as you may have guessed from the above picture, I moved the engine and box into the engine bay for the first time. Now it isn't actually a test fit or anything as I hadn't even hooked up the driver's side metal engine mount or re-drilled the hole on that side before I hurt my hand. But it did help tidy up the garage and I felt happier to have it there:

So yeah, pretty eventful I guess, I dare say my hand will be ok in a day or two. Definitely some good irony either way!

So, once I drill and fit the other engine mount it will finally be time to start on the tunnel which is really the bulk of the actual 'conversion' on this build!

Exciting times coming soon!

Current Cars:

Name
    Tom
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Yay more progress.

So let me see...

-Gearbox related stuff done
    -1 broken drill
    -1 new drill
    -1 burnt hand
    -1 engine still not mounted!

But the post was entertaining none the less
    1983 AE86 ADM rust spec goodness track car build - end of the road
    1984 AE86 Silver ADM mk2 daily build - SOLD
    1984 AE86 ADM granny car daily now 4AGZE - SOLD
    1983 AE86 ADM Engine Conversion Slut - SOLD
    2002 IS200 6spd - new daily in progress
    1986 AE86 JDM GT-Apex Levin Notchback ready to roll......

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Hahaha, thanks Tom!

I'm glad you found my pain entertaining

Ps how much progress has been made on your 4agte project lately???

Current Cars:

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Zero is the answer. but he did come and work on mine for a bit. Put my injectors back in after I had them cleaned and the car runs super smooth.

I've got 1 week to get it ready for a track day and after that I'll get right onto your stuff. Although I don't think corolla will make it so I might get started on your stuff earlier.

Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast